Ogogo Is Alive: Family Calls Out Social Media Death Hoax Targeting Ailing Nollywood Legend

Taiwo Hassan — the veteran Yoruba stage and screen actor known across Nigeria as Ogogo — is alive. That should not need to be said. The fact that it does says something uncomfortable about the information environment his family now has to navigate alongside his ongoing health battle.
On Tuesday, a Facebook post began spreading rapidly through Nigerian social media circles, claiming that Ogogo's daughter Haleemah Taiwo had announced her father's death — stating he had passed away after being turned away by multiple hospitals. Within hours, the post had been shared widely enough to reach fans who had no reason to doubt it. Condolences poured in. The rumour calcified into perceived fact for thousands of people.
There was one problem: Haleemah Taiwo never wrote it. The post was fabricated — her name attached to a claim she did not make, about an event that did not happen.
Another of Ogogo's daughters moved quickly to correct the record, posting directly on Instagram to confirm that her father is alive. She did not mince words. The denial was unambiguous and came from within the family — not a publicist, not a management statement, but from someone with direct knowledge and a direct stake in the truth.
Ogogo, 66, has been publicly known to be managing a health condition — cancer — and that underlying reality is almost certainly what made the fabricated rumour stick. Death hoaxes targeting public figures who are known to be ill follow a recognizable pattern: they exploit the plausibility window created by real vulnerability. The audience already holds anxiety about the person's health, and a confident-sounding claim drops into fertile ground. Fact-checking feels like denial; sharing feels like bearing witness.
What is worth naming plainly here is that this is not a harmless prank or a simple misunderstanding. A named private individual — Haleemah Taiwo — had words placed in her mouth describing her father's death. That is not a grey area. It is the fabrication of a family member's grief announcement, manufactured and distributed to millions. The emotional harm to the Hassan family, who had to spend a day fielding condolences for a man sitting alive in their midst, is real and entirely avoidable.
Nollywood figures, and Yoruba entertainment figures in particular, have been disproportionately targeted by this kind of hoax for years. The ecosystem that amplifies these posts often runs on engagement rather than verification — shares travel faster than corrections, and the correction rarely reaches everyone the original lie did. By the time a daughter's Instagram post debunks the story, a significant slice of the audience has already mentally filed Ogogo under "deceased."
The deeper structural problem is the absence of friction. Platforms that allow anonymous or pseudonymous users to fabricate statements attributed to real, named people — with no verification layer and no meaningful penalty — are not neutral pipes. They are infrastructure for targeted harassment and disinformation. In this case, the target was a sick 66-year-old actor and his daughters. Next time it will be someone else.
Ogogo built a career over decades that made him a household name across Yorubaland and well beyond. His audience's love for him is exactly what bad actors exploit when they manufacture these rumours — love creates urgency, urgency overrides skepticism, and skepticism is the only tool that stops the spread. His family has done their part. The rest of the work belongs to everyone who shares before they verify.
See what people are saying about this story on X.
