Simeone Says Álvarez Stays — But Benching Him for the Season Opener Tells a Different Story

When a manager tells the press there is no room for doubt about a player's future, and then omits that same player from the squad sheet for the season's first competitive match, the contradiction is not subtle. It is, in fact, the loudest possible signal the situation can send without anyone going on record.
Diego Simeone addressed the Julián Álvarez transfer saga ahead of Atlético Madrid's LaLiga opener against newly promoted Málaga, a Wednesday night fixture scheduled for 9 p.m. at the Metropolitano. His message in the press conference was unambiguous: Álvarez is staying, the club is building around him, there is no deal in motion, end of discussion. Club president Enrique Cerezo had already staked a similar position publicly weeks earlier, insisting Álvarez would not be allowed to leave under any circumstances.
And yet Álvarez did not feature in Atlético's squad for the Málaga match. The official explanation from the club's camp centered on the ongoing transfer speculation itself — a somewhat circular logic that essentially says the player is so certainly staying that the uncertainty around him is the reason he cannot play. Whatever the precise internal reasoning, the optics land in exactly one place: a player and a club that have not resolved something, regardless of what the press conference transcript says.
The reported interest is real and specific. Arsenal and Barcelona have both been linked with Álvarez through this window, with Barcelona's need particularly acute given their ongoing striker situation. For Arsenal, Álvarez represents the profile of physically robust, technically complete center-forward that Mikel Arteta's system has been built to accommodate. Neither club is chasing a rumor — both organizations have the financial capacity and the sporting motivation to make a serious approach.
Álvarez's own position in all of this remains carefully unspoken in public. He has not issued any statement demanding a transfer, and no verified account of a formal transfer request has been established. But a player of his standing — a World Cup winner, a Champions League winner with Manchester City, a man who commanded a transfer fee of approximately €75 million when he moved to Atlético from City in 2023 — does not get left out of a season opener for neutral fitness reasons without there being a story underneath it.
Simeone's position is structurally difficult. He cannot afford to signal publicly that a key player is available, because doing so weakens Atlético's negotiating hand and destabilizes the dressing room before a ball has been kicked in LaLiga. The press conference performance — firm, decisive, no room for doubt — is the only rational play available to him regardless of what is actually happening behind the scenes. Managers in transfer standoffs always say the player is staying. It is the squad sheet that tells the truth.
For Barcelona, the clock is the real constraint. The LaLiga season is underway and the transfer window will close. The club's financial fair play compliance issues have been well documented, and any move of the magnitude an Álvarez transfer would require demands creative structuring as much as it demands euros. If they cannot close the deal quickly, the realistic window for this summer shuts and the situation reverts — Álvarez plays for Atlético, tension either dissipates or festers through the season, and the whole conversation restarts in January or next summer.
What is clear is that Atlético Madrid did not spend €75 million on Álvarez to watch him leave one year later without extracting significant value, financial or otherwise. Cerezo's public hardline stance is not merely posturing — it reflects the club's genuine leverage position. They do not need to sell. Any buyer needs to make the number significant enough that Atlético's willingness to lose the player is worth what they receive in return.
The Simeone press conference will be quoted as a definitive statement on Álvarez's future. Watch the training ground instead.
Who is covering this (18+ outlets)
- geosuper.tvAtletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone to bench Julian Alvarez amid transfer standoff
- The Sacramento BeeBarcelona Can't Afford to Waste Time on Julian Alvarez in Desperate Search for Striker
- Sports IllustratedBarcelona Can't Afford to Waste Time on Julian Alvarez in Desperate Search for Striker
- Yahoo SportsArsenal target Julian Alvarez misses La Liga opener amid transfer speculation
- All Out SoccerArsenal target Julian Alvarez misses La Liga opener amid transfer speculation
- Headlines NigeriaSimeone clarifies Alvarez's future as Arsenal, Barcelona close in
- The Sun NigeriaSimeone clarifies Alvarez's future as Arsenal, Barcelona close in - The Sun Nigeria
- United News of IndiaNo Alvarez as Atletico Madrid prepares to kick off its new season at home to Malaga
- LeadershipAtletico Will Build Team Around Alvarez, Simeone Insists Amid Transfer Interest
- Sports MoleArsenal, Barcelona receive Diego Simeone update on potential Julian Alvarez departure - Sports Mole
- سبأنت - وكالة سبأAtletico Madrid Coach Rules Out Alvarez for Season Opener Amid Ongoing Future Uncertainty
- World Soccer TalkJulian Alvarez left out of Atletico Madrid's season opener as Diego Simeone addresses transfer talk
- Goal.comAtletico, Simeone shuts the door on Alvarez: "The owner has spoken"
- TechnoSportsAlvarez Atletico: Julian Alvarez Dropped (2026)
- SportskeedaMikel Arteta makes personal phone call to striker in order to convince him to join Arsenal: Reports
- Barca BlaugranesShould Barcelona give up on Julian Alvarez?
- Deccan ChronicleJulian Alvarez Will Not Leave Atletico Madrid This Year: Coach Simeone
- Daily Times Of BangladeshAlvarez absence opens door for Barcelona
See what people are saying about this story on X.
